Skip to main content

Eat, Pray, Love... or other verbs.

When it rains, it pours.  First, the governor proposed a budget that pretty much destroyed my chances of getting hired at Penn State.  Then, the top destination on my bucket list was nearly wiped off the map by an earthquake and tsunami.  Next, the Bald Eagle nest webcam I was following for weeks online suffered an intruder after the first baby hatched, and as a result both the baby and the un-hatched egg died.  And last but not least, the most annoying video appeared on YouTube, featuring a teenager singing about Friiidayyy, and every Facebook friend of mine posted it or mentioned it and glued it into my mind for at least two weeks.  I actually listened to “Mmm Bop” (remember that song?) to try to get “Friiidayy”out of my head, but all that did was create a montage of both songs spinning between my ears.  You have no idea how horrible that is until you’ve experienced it.

Things couldn’t get much worse, I thought, and hoped that I didn’t jinx myself.  Then, on Friiidayy, my phone rang.  It was the recruiter for a job I’d applied for in January.  After two interviews, two proficiency tests, a personality assessment test, a test that resembled the GRE, and a 30-page application form, I was hired.  I didn’t jinx myself – at last, some good news!

I’d forgotten how difficult it is to move out-of-state.  The last time I made such a move was 1999, when I moved from New Jersey back to Pennsylvania.  Now I am moving to Maryland, and the amount of paperwork and phone calls is astounding.  It was easier to buy a house in 2003 than it is to rent this apartment, it seems.  I haven’t even started the process of my driver’s license and car registration/insurance.  I can’t wait to see how much fun that will be.

Truthfully, though, it’s really not that bad;  I am so excited to start my new job, I’m happy with the apartment I found on such short notice, and I love my new city.  I’m looking forward to being closer to friends who live there.  Most of all, I’m happy to have a fresh start – it feels as though I’ve been given a reset button (now I just need to run to Staples for an Easy button).  Positive change is stressful, but it’s a good kind of stress… and nothing a little wine won’t cure.  So much for that New Year’s resolution!

Of course, every change has its negatives.  This became clear to me yesterday, while babysitting sweet little 1 ½ year old Matthew.  Thank goodness for technology, which will make it easy for me to keep up with everybody, but what about Matthew?  He’s not on Facebook yet.  I broke the news to him yesterday when he woke up from his nap, and he just looked at me, dumbfounded, with an expression on his face that broke my heart.  “How could you do this to me?” he seemed to be saying.  Or maybe he was still groggy from his nap and he was merely thinking, “Doesn’t she know that I can’t have a serious conversation until I’ve had at least half of this sippy cup?”  Incase it was the former, I gave him some extra teddy grahams.  Then we watched “Eat Pray Love” together and he played with my hair.  Actually, he ignored "Eat Pray Love" and tried to drive his toy car through my hair.  Close enough.

I start my new job on April 11th.  I can’t wait to see what happens next, and I can’t wait to share it with all of you!

Comments

  1. Nice blog! I like your writing way. I'm doing practice GRE here: masteryourgre.com . I hope it's useful for GRE test takers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We "adults" need our coffee .. kiddies need their sippy cups .. great line!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Another Day

At 3:15 I get on the bus and take my seat. I dread the next half hour, as usual, but today I also feel kind of numb. I know as soon as Frank gets on the bus, he will kick my shins or smack my forehead on his way through the aisle. I can’t stop thinking about about Callie, though. Or her empty seat on the bus.

The morning started out badly. Callie was absent, so Frank decided to pick on those of us in the front of the bus. He stole my flute and carried it to the back, tossing it to one of his friends, an older boy. He threw it back to me as we got to school, and it hit my face. I was glad Frank didn't take it to his locker, or worse, throw it in the dumpster. That happened to another kid on our bus.

My friends who ride different buses get along fine with the 8th graders. They have fun on the way home. They always do homework or write notes or talk to each other. If I did homework on the bus, it would definitely get stolen. If I wrote a note, Frank would take it and read it in a mocki…

Cement Shoes

"So?" "Got the McLaren. It's at the warehouse." "I don't care about the car. The ring is worth twice as much." "There's a little problem. It's still on his finger." "No you didn't..." "Had to." "Where did you put him?" "East River."


Hotel Bar

I can’t answer anymore.
He stabbed the cork and twisted clockwise. “Patience. They’re here only one night. You, a month.”

Pop, pour.
Time stops in a hotel.
A stranger arrived next to me. “Where’re you from?”
Yet again, I answer.

Pop, pour.




Answering the ultimate question: Have all your clocks stopped?