Skip to main content

Remembering Uncle Merlen.

I just wanted to take a minute to remember my Uncle Merlen, who left us early this morning. I will never forget summers in Minnesota, during which we always spent a day or two at his farm. It was a foreign concept for my sisters and me (being total Pennsylvanian suburbanites), but he sure had fun showing us (and jokingly trying to scare us with) all the animals and equipment. "Those geese will bite you!" (No joke!)  I remember my sisters and I liked to play with the kittens who lived in the barn.  Some were friendly, and some were scared.  I also loved the goats, but the pigs really freaked me out.  It's funny, when I read Animal Farm for the first time, I envisioned that very farm and all the animals coming to life to act out Orwell's powerful message.  I wonder how Uncle Merlen would feel about that!

As is the case with so many departed relatives, I wish I'd had the chance to get to know Merlen better.  It was hard to grow up so far away from the rest of the family, because once I became old enough to forge those relationships on my own, work and life get in the way.  A week long fishing excursion to Minnesota isn't nearly enough time to see even half of the relatives who live there.  The lack of a relationship doesn't make the loss any easier, either.  It just makes it different.  It's not like I don't know my far-flung relatives; the stories were passed down through the generations and across the miles.  It's a comfort to know that a loved one is out there in the world, doing what they do.  This has happened with all of my grandparents, as well as several other relatives I've lost over the years.  Once they're gone, people will ask, "Were you close to him/her?"  And I will answer honestly, "Not really."  But that doesn't mean I don't feel it.  Even though the loss isn't as serious as that of someone you see every day, it still feels like a slow burn.  That person is no longer out there doing what they do, and the world feels a little bit different.  Something's missing, and it just kinda makes me want to cry.

Goodbye Uncle Merlen, you will be sadly missed.  And, thanks to you, I'll always keep away from the geese.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Another Day

At 3:15 I get on the bus and take my seat. I dread the next half hour, as usual, but today I also feel kind of numb. I know as soon as Frank gets on the bus, he will kick my shins or smack my forehead on his way through the aisle. I can’t stop thinking about about Callie, though. Or her empty seat on the bus.

The morning started out badly. Callie was absent, so Frank decided to pick on those of us in the front of the bus. He stole my flute and carried it to the back, tossing it to one of his friends, an older boy. He threw it back to me as we got to school, and it hit my face. I was glad Frank didn't take it to his locker, or worse, throw it in the dumpster. That happened to another kid on our bus.

My friends who ride different buses get along fine with the 8th graders. They have fun on the way home. They always do homework or write notes or talk to each other. If I did homework on the bus, it would definitely get stolen. If I wrote a note, Frank would take it and read it in a mocki…

Cement Shoes

"So?" "Got the McLaren. It's at the warehouse." "I don't care about the car. The ring is worth twice as much." "There's a little problem. It's still on his finger." "No you didn't..." "Had to." "Where did you put him?" "East River."


Hotel Bar

I can’t answer anymore.
He stabbed the cork and twisted clockwise. “Patience. They’re here only one night. You, a month.”

Pop, pour.
Time stops in a hotel.
A stranger arrived next to me. “Where’re you from?”
Yet again, I answer.

Pop, pour.




Answering the ultimate question: Have all your clocks stopped?