Skip to main content

I'll be your everything.


The Mitten came into my house nine years ago, the last addition in a collection of various roommates which included two other cats, a big old dog, and an adult human male.  She was a mere kitten, and she accepted her ranking with grace and dignity, hardly ever asking for anything.  She knew that the matriarch and the prince would tolerate her but never adore her, and the human members of the pack were too preoccupied with their own crap to carve out time for the self-sufficient kitty.  She befriended the old dog, who begrudgingly shared crumbs from her treats and allowed her a space next to her while the humans were eating dinner.  She purred through it all and never defied the order of things.

The dog was the first to go, and although The Mitten retained her lonely spot on the floor next to the dinner table, she also tried to make friends with the matriarch and the prince.  They formed a furry alliance, teaching each other certain tricks, such as positioning oneself upside-down on a hot day, or sleeping in such a way that makes one more closely resemble a chicken drumstick than a cat.

In the course of two turbulent years, The Mitten lost both of her feline companions, not to mention some human ones.  Suddenly, I was all she had left.  She now understands exactly what she needs to do to coerce this remaining human to pet her, give her a treat, brush her, play with her, sprinkle some catnip on the floor, donate lap space, or just leave her the heck alone.  And, of course, this human indulges her every whim.  I do anything I can to be everything to her.

The girlish side of me has always wanted to be somebody’s everything.  I’ve always dreamed of being that perfect partner, making my lover smile just at the sight of me.  He’d know, no matter how rotten his day was, that everything was about to get better as soon as he walked in the door because I was there to kiss him and welcome him home.  I’d make dinner and we’d catch up on the past eight hours and then we’d just enjoy being under the same roof for the evening, comfortably close, no words needed.

Suffice it to say I’ve since learned that, at least for me, such a situation does not exist in real life.  People don't work together that way, no matter now appealing it sounds.  It seems that men see me as a giant pain in the arse, the one who stands in the way of their happiness, resenting me for merely being alive.  Kindness is interpreted as an expectation of reciprocity rather than an expression of love.  A necessary evil, I am.  That's fair, I suppose.  I am a bit difficult.  So I stopped hoping for that fairy-tale relationship and learned to be grateful simply to get a goodnight kiss at the end of the day.

But, to The Mitten, I am everything now.  Everyone she had in this world is gone, except for me.  I can hear her meowing for me before I even unlock the door when I get home from work, and as soon as I step inside, all she wants is a little love.  The sight of me after eight hours is the happiest part of her day.  She gets so excited for whatever I feed her for dinner, which is usually nothing more than kibble.  She purrs like a diesel engine when I offer her my lap to curl up on at the end of the day.  It’s actually kind of humbling.  I must admit, it’s not exactly the partnership I was expecting to accompany me through life, but I feel rewarded just the same.  I am her everything, and, in a way, it’s everything I’ve always wanted.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the honesty in this one. Very authentic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This will always be my New York.

This was a skyline that represented so much to so many people.  It was my New York.  I photographed it as I saw it every day, many times a day, for three years.  This view was as common to me as my own reflection in a mirror, and, at least in my perception, a million times more beautiful.  Often I would walk or drive by it and completely ignore it.  On nice days, I would sit on the pier at lunch with my work friends, eating folded slices of Telly’s pizza, chatting with the women and flirting with the men, paying no mind to the city behind me.  But while I was in the city, it was my playground.  I didn't waste a moment as soon as I stepped off the subway.  Everyone has their own New York.  That was my New York.

Like my reflection, the skyline was something with which I could peacefully coexist, met most often with casual indifference, and encountering only the occasional frustration.  The moments of glory were the most memorable; like my reflection dressed up for a special event, th…

Just Another Day

At 3:15 I get on the bus and take my seat. I dread the next half hour, as usual, but today I also feel kind of numb. I know as soon as Frank gets on the bus, he will kick my shins or smack my forehead on his way through the aisle. I can’t stop thinking about about Callie, though. Or her empty seat on the bus.

The morning started out badly. Callie was absent, so Frank decided to pick on those of us in the front of the bus. He stole my flute and carried it to the back, tossing it to one of his friends, an older boy. He threw it back to me as we got to school, and it hit my face. I was glad Frank didn't take it to his locker, or worse, throw it in the dumpster. That happened to another kid on our bus.

My friends who ride different buses get along fine with the 8th graders. They have fun on the way home. They always do homework or write notes or talk to each other. If I did homework on the bus, it would definitely get stolen. If I wrote a note, Frank would take it and read it in a mocki…

Cement Shoes

"So?" "Got the McLaren. It's at the warehouse." "I don't care about the car. The ring is worth twice as much." "There's a little problem. It's still on his finger." "No you didn't..." "Had to." "Where did you put him?" "East River."