Skip to main content

Wave or No Wave

An acquaintance from my distant past introduced me to a fun social guessing game he called “Wave or No Wave”.  The game is simple: When you spot someone walking on the sidewalk as you’re driving around town, you must decide immediately whether or not you think that person will wave if you honk your horn at them.  Then, do just that and see if they wave at you.  You’d be surprised by the number of strangers who actually wave at you without even attempting to identify your vehicle.  It’s quite addictive.  This game only works in small towns, of course.  If you do this in, say, New York, your horn would be lost in the cacophony of taxis, and passersby would completely ignore you.

I’ve taken to playing other social guessing games over the years.  When in New York or other popular cities, in lieu of “Wave or No Wave”, I enjoy partaking of “Tourist or Not a Tourist”.  There are two key accessories that I look for when playing this game: The shoes and the bag.  With very few exceptions, you’ll have your answer within seconds by looking at those two things.  In my hometown, the game evolved into “Student or Not a Student” while walking around the areas adjoining campus.  It’s a no-brainer on weekdays (backpacks, ball caps, and sloppy ponytails), but it’s a fun challenge on the weekends.  Unfortunately, there’s no good way to confirm your guess unless you accost the person you’re examining and ask them point blank.  But you know I’d never have the chutzpah to do that.

My latest social guessing game, a variation of “Wave or No Wave”, has been the most satisfying yet because of its consistent, measurable results.  I embark on an early morning run several days during the week (and when I say early, I mean 5:30 am, before the sun is up).  I pass about a half dozen joggers every day.  I’ve learned that joggers don’t say “good morning” to you; instead, they wave as they pass you, kind of like the way bikers acknowledge each other as they pass on the highway.  Just as the bikers have an understanding (Harleys only wave to Harleys), I’ve discovered that runners also seem to have an understanding: Only the men will wave.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why this is the case.  Women just won’t wave.  In fact, women won’t even look at you.  So does that mean there's something wrong with me?  I wave at everyone, no gender discrimination.  Yet, without exception, only the men wave back to me.  I'm so fascinated by this that I wonder how I can explore it further.  It would have been a great topic for a thesis, don't you think?

My reason for getting back into running, however, was not to perform social experiments on my neighbors, but rather to train for the upcoming 5k for the BlogHer convention in New York.  I’m more nervous about the race than I am for any other part of the weekend, but that’s because I’m more or less a sidekick in the blogging portion of this adventure.  My prolific blogging friend Michelle convinced me to attend, so I convinced her to run.  I’ll be working on a new game while I’m there.  I’m hoping to come up with something that will allow me to determine first whether or not the person is a tourist, and then whether or not they wave at me.  Bonus points if they wave while jogging.  Further bonus points if they’re a student.  If they also happen to be a woman, I'm buying a lottery ticket.

The 5k is Friday morning, August 3rd, at 6:30 am (I’ll get an extra hour of sleep!).  Be sure to cheer me on from afar.  Or, if you happen to be in the city, meet me at the finish line.  Be sure to wave at me.  Or don't.  Either way, you'll still be a part of the game.

Comments

  1. I always wave. And I say good morning. But that's probably because I'm not a real runner.

    I bought a running skirt and a cute running top for Friday. I wonder if I'll actually run before then. I hope you're not as angry at me for convincing you to go to BlogHer as I am at you for making me run.

    I'm not really mad. You're right, I should run. You're a good friend. And you're not going to be a sidekick. You are going to be a prolific blogger too :) Also, thanks for calling me your prolific blogging friend.

    See you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This will always be my New York.

This was a skyline that represented so much to so many people.  It was my New York.  I photographed it as I saw it every day, many times a day, for three years.  This view was as common to me as my own reflection in a mirror, and, at least in my perception, a million times more beautiful.  Often I would walk or drive by it and completely ignore it.  On nice days, I would sit on the pier at lunch with my work friends, eating folded slices of Telly’s pizza, chatting with the women and flirting with the men, paying no mind to the city behind me.  But while I was in the city, it was my playground.  I didn't waste a moment as soon as I stepped off the subway.  Everyone has their own New York.  That was my New York.

Like my reflection, the skyline was something with which I could peacefully coexist, met most often with casual indifference, and encountering only the occasional frustration.  The moments of glory were the most memorable; like my reflection dressed up for a special event, th…

Just Another Day

At 3:15 I get on the bus and take my seat. I dread the next half hour, as usual, but today I also feel kind of numb. I know as soon as Frank gets on the bus, he will kick my shins or smack my forehead on his way through the aisle. I can’t stop thinking about about Callie, though. Or her empty seat on the bus.

The morning started out badly. Callie was absent, so Frank decided to pick on those of us in the front of the bus. He stole my flute and carried it to the back, tossing it to one of his friends, an older boy. He threw it back to me as we got to school, and it hit my face. I was glad Frank didn't take it to his locker, or worse, throw it in the dumpster. That happened to another kid on our bus.

My friends who ride different buses get along fine with the 8th graders. They have fun on the way home. They always do homework or write notes or talk to each other. If I did homework on the bus, it would definitely get stolen. If I wrote a note, Frank would take it and read it in a mocki…

Cement Shoes

"So?" "Got the McLaren. It's at the warehouse." "I don't care about the car. The ring is worth twice as much." "There's a little problem. It's still on his finger." "No you didn't..." "Had to." "Where did you put him?" "East River."