Skip to main content

Sparklecorn Criminal


BlogHer ’12 has come and gone, and I have lived to tell the tale.

It’s possible that you’re visiting my site for the first time, having just met me at the conference, and now you’re thinking, “How unoriginal, writing about BlogHer.”  But I’d be remiss if I didn’t.  If you don’t wish to read about my BlogHer experience, click on one (or all!) of the links below to learn how I feel about other topics such as:


But back to BlogHer.  Almost immediately, it was obvious how terribly unprepared I was for this event.  I thought I would be okay; I followed all the online advice and arrived with a box of business cards jammed into my suitcase.  What those well-meaning bloggers failed to mention was the fact that I should have been lifting weights to properly train for all the “swag” I would receive and consequently have to carry around.  “Swag” is a new word to my vocabulary, which translates to “free stuff from corporate sponsors”, such as beauty products, toothpaste, cleaning products, gift cards, books, etc.  Oh yeah, and vibrators.  That particular piece of “swag” was definitely not coincidental, considering there was approximately one man to every 1000 women in attendance.

Most memorable were the parties, of course.  Queerosphere was, by far, my favorite.  A fabulous female jazz singer, tables for lounging, and a wide array of desserts provided a great atmosphere for hanging out with new friends.  However, the highly-touted Sparklecorn did not disappoint!  Glow sticks abounded (thanks Laurel, for giving me one of yours), a unicorn presided, and posters of some of the best sci-fi/fantasy dorkdom adorned the walls.  With the help of extra drink tickets, Michelle danced like she said she wouldn’t, I vowed not to leave without stealing the badass Hermione poster (which didn’t work out as planned), and Sara and Carinn paraded a chain of glow sticks in a conga line.

By lunch on Saturday, my voice was raw and my mouth was dry.  I didn’t think I was capable of talking to any more people.  I was about ready to go back upstairs and take a nap, but Michelle enthusiastically said she was staying for the next speaker.  I rallied, caffeinated, and remained.  Probably a good thing I did, otherwise I would have most likely just wasted the afternoon in the hotel room engaging in… how do I put this?... unproductive pursuits with my new “swag”.

Chicago next year?  Unlikely, but at least I have a lot of new reading material now thanks to all of your business cards.  If you gave me your card, I will read your blog, I promise.  Hopefully you’re enjoying mine enough to visit again soon!

Comments

  1. Hahahaha Sounds like almost every conference I've been to, that is, minus the sparkles, unicorns, and vibrators. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome for the glow stick! And where was this badass Hermione Poster!! I want it! Look forward to checking out your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This will always be my New York.

This was a skyline that represented so much to so many people.  It was my New York.  I photographed it as I saw it every day, many times a day, for three years.  This view was as common to me as my own reflection in a mirror, and, at least in my perception, a million times more beautiful.  Often I would walk or drive by it and completely ignore it.  On nice days, I would sit on the pier at lunch with my work friends, eating folded slices of Telly’s pizza, chatting with the women and flirting with the men, paying no mind to the city behind me.  But while I was in the city, it was my playground.  I didn't waste a moment as soon as I stepped off the subway.  Everyone has their own New York.  That was my New York.

Like my reflection, the skyline was something with which I could peacefully coexist, met most often with casual indifference, and encountering only the occasional frustration.  The moments of glory were the most memorable; like my reflection dressed up for a special event, th…

Just Another Day

At 3:15 I get on the bus and take my seat. I dread the next half hour, as usual, but today I also feel kind of numb. I know as soon as Frank gets on the bus, he will kick my shins or smack my forehead on his way through the aisle. I can’t stop thinking about about Callie, though. Or her empty seat on the bus.

The morning started out badly. Callie was absent, so Frank decided to pick on those of us in the front of the bus. He stole my flute and carried it to the back, tossing it to one of his friends, an older boy. He threw it back to me as we got to school, and it hit my face. I was glad Frank didn't take it to his locker, or worse, throw it in the dumpster. That happened to another kid on our bus.

My friends who ride different buses get along fine with the 8th graders. They have fun on the way home. They always do homework or write notes or talk to each other. If I did homework on the bus, it would definitely get stolen. If I wrote a note, Frank would take it and read it in a mocki…

Cement Shoes

"So?" "Got the McLaren. It's at the warehouse." "I don't care about the car. The ring is worth twice as much." "There's a little problem. It's still on his finger." "No you didn't..." "Had to." "Where did you put him?" "East River."