Skip to main content

Fashionably Challenged

Amir was holding my shoe in one hand, my bare foot in the other. Surreal, it was, as we sat by ourselves in the cafeteria on the ground floor of Harborside eating pre-packaged sushi.  Twin towers leered at us through the window from across the river. We tried to talk about the corporate merger, but Amir just wanted to talk about my new heels.

“How much?” he asked. What he really wanted to know was if I’d bought them on sale. I told him I paid full price. “Garden State Plaza?” he asked next. What he really wanted to know was if I got them in the city. I told him I did.

For reasons unknown, Amir was always tapping my fashion sense. I was a broke, small-town hippie turned big-city yuppie, and I couldn't see why rich, Manhattan-bred Amir would want to talk to me about clothes. The Versace clique would have been much more helpful.

“Want to go to Short Hills after work?” he offered. I couldn't resist his soulful brown eyes. I nodded my answer. He was still holding my foot, gently rubbing his thumb along the soft skin of my arch. I was silently hoping our boss didn't find us in this entirely unprofessional stance, but then I remembered that our boss was most likely having lunch in the restaurant instead of the cafeteria, using the company card. My shoe remained in Amir's other hand.

Amir was killing time at this company. He had already been hired for the trading floor at the New York Stock Exchange, but the job didn't start for another six months. In the meantime, he gathered experience working across the river, trading and talking about mutual funds all day with brokers in the cubicle next to mine. I hadn't ever considered the NYSE for a career, but the more I hung out with Amir, the more enticing it was.

At Short Hills, he tried on a dozen suits. I helped him settle on two. He blew an entire paycheck paying for them. In return, he helped me blow half a paycheck on another pair of shoes.

“I’ll drive you home,” said Amir after our shopping spree.

“God, no,” I insisted. I lived at least thirty miles out of his way. “I’ll take the train.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, it’s late.”

We tossed our shopping bags in the backseat of his Jetta and talked the whole way up to Hackensack.  I thanked him for driving me home, apologizing for how far he had to drive. “It’s the least I can do,” he said. “You helped me pick out those suits.”

He parked and turned off the engine. He turned to me. “May I come in for a glass of water before I head home?”

There it was, my moment of clarity. It wasn't fashion advice that Amir needed from me. I smiled coyly, and our eyes locked in understanding.

“Of course,” I replied. “Come on in.”




Comments

  1. I've had those moments of clarity, but I usually had to slither out of the intention. It's a hard life when you are dense and think everyone just really wants to be FRIENDS. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've had other situations I've had to slither out of, too. Fortunately, I liked this guy so it was a win-win!

      Delete
  2. Ooo, what a fun story! Shopping and a cute guy? So much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story - I never heard this one before! And this was before I knew you, Dana of the past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this was right after I moved there. However, a mutual friend of ours was working in a nearby cubicle at this time. He didn't like Amir very much.

      Delete
    2. I'm making a surprised face and rolling my eyes.

      Let me guess - our friend's cubicle was bigger than everyone else's because he was so special, right?

      Delete
    3. It only needed to be bigger to accommodate his ego.

      Delete
  4. Sexy stuff ... so fun! Thanks for the lift this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It was a lift for me to write it!

      Delete
  5. I love win-win situations! And new shoes, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shopping, a man who supports a shoe habit-- love it! What a fun time of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This story is just plain fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this sexy story...And I would really, really love to know what came next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of "implied sex" rather than "explicit sex", so let your imagination run wild! ;)

      Delete
  9. Shoes AND a hot guy? Score!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOooooh! This zipped me right back to Jersey, in the cafeteria of Harborside. Crazy small world. Loved this story so much. Well done with the sexy curveball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how many people I've met after I left Jersey who tell me that they worked in Harborside at some point. I swear that's like the hazing center of the career crowd!

      Delete
  11. Great story! I've been in that clueless position before but never with someone I liked other than as a friend. I live 5 minutes from the SH mall. So swanky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swanky, indeed! Amir and I had no business shopping there, because our salary was entry-level poverty. At least we dressed well. ;) I guess you could say we were living "as if"!

      Delete
  12. Shoes, shopping and a nice guy? Three for three- lovely! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooh, you had me at the foot massage. This is the kind of romantic story I can get into. Understated. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhhhh is that what amir wanted?? i just thought he had a foot fetish. haha. he just had a you fetish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you sure tell a great story! It's perfect as it is, but I can't help but want to read MORE. And that is what makes a story great to me.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to know the rest of the story.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where is Amir? I don't need the steamy details from that night, but I definitely want a follow-up post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... now the wheels are turning for future blog posts...

      Delete
  18. Any man who's okay with shopping is a win. Go for it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an... unusual story. I kinda thought in the end he was gonna be gay? It's the kind of story that makes you go back over the details in your mind, recasting them with the new information you have. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love it! Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the way you sequenced the story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This will always be my New York.

This was a skyline that represented so much to so many people.  It was my New York.  I photographed it as I saw it every day, many times a day, for three years.  This view was as common to me as my own reflection in a mirror, and, at least in my perception, a million times more beautiful.  Often I would walk or drive by it and completely ignore it.  On nice days, I would sit on the pier at lunch with my work friends, eating folded slices of Telly’s pizza, chatting with the women and flirting with the men, paying no mind to the city behind me.  But while I was in the city, it was my playground.  I didn't waste a moment as soon as I stepped off the subway.  Everyone has their own New York.  That was my New York.

Like my reflection, the skyline was something with which I could peacefully coexist, met most often with casual indifference, and encountering only the occasional frustration.  The moments of glory were the most memorable; like my reflection dressed up for a special event, th…

Just Another Day

At 3:15 I get on the bus and take my seat. I dread the next half hour, as usual, but today I also feel kind of numb. I know as soon as Frank gets on the bus, he will kick my shins or smack my forehead on his way through the aisle. I can’t stop thinking about about Callie, though. Or her empty seat on the bus.

The morning started out badly. Callie was absent, so Frank decided to pick on those of us in the front of the bus. He stole my flute and carried it to the back, tossing it to one of his friends, an older boy. He threw it back to me as we got to school, and it hit my face. I was glad Frank didn't take it to his locker, or worse, throw it in the dumpster. That happened to another kid on our bus.

My friends who ride different buses get along fine with the 8th graders. They have fun on the way home. They always do homework or write notes or talk to each other. If I did homework on the bus, it would definitely get stolen. If I wrote a note, Frank would take it and read it in a mocki…

Cement Shoes

"So?" "Got the McLaren. It's at the warehouse." "I don't care about the car. The ring is worth twice as much." "There's a little problem. It's still on his finger." "No you didn't..." "Had to." "Where did you put him?" "East River."